Sending data to Google analytics through Profile Cloud is commonly used by Profile Cloud users. Be aware of the different versions of google analytics, the “old” version and the newer Universal Analytics. This article will describe how to use the Universal Analytics. For more info about Google Analytics click here.
- Your Google Universal account ID UA-xxxxx.
- An event already created with an event value that you want to send to Universal Analytics
Define an event with a data value to send to Universal Analytics. In below example, a building block with the data value “product name” has been defined.
This event will fetch the product name on each product view and store it to Profile Cloud. Profile Cloud does not consider the value you want to send to google analytics.
This procedure is applicable to any value you want to send. Make sure to create an event that corresponds to what you want to send. There are some limitations of what Google universal accepts as values. For instance, email addresses will not be accepted by Google.
To send this value:
Add a Google Universal tag to the canvas. The tag to be used depends on what report you intend to send it to. For more information on the Universal Analytics, variables can be found in Google Help Center.
Drag or double-click on the Universal element, in this example “Custom dimension or Metrics”
Connect the intended data value, in this example “Product Name” to the Universal element.
Double click on the element to open the form where you can edit the settings.
- Account ID: Add you Universal account ID. (UA-XXXXXX)
- Type: Select whether you want to send this as a “Dimension or Metric”. Read about the differences in Google help center.
- Index: Define what index you want to set it to
- Value: The intended data value to send – The options will be depended on what data values that are connected to the element. In this example “Product Name”
Click OK and save the event. Whenever this event is triggered the value will be sent to your Google Universal account. Test it in dev mode and verify in your Analytics account. Keep in mind that some reports in Google Analytics visualize the data with a delay. When ready go to the deploy-tab under web data collection and deploy.